Monday 26 March 2012

Journal entry-1

The Son Of The Turtle-spirit


Reading the title of the short story, “Son of the turtle spirit”, I, at first thought it was a  story of  a turtle with its fallen son which finally repented but I was  wrong. It was an intimacy relationship between a turtle and a young beautiful  lady  . Then, I thought the lady was a victim of the a deceitful  turtle  and soon the  relationship  would end when the lady knew the truth but again, I was wrong. The lady seems that of totally in deep love with the turtle. Their relationships even giving birth a very smart and  skilful  son. I start searching why?  Why should there is relationship between human and animal. Frankly, it was to me totally a disturbance when the author seems to accept the relationship as legal or acceptable. It shows when the son born  from the relationship are  humble, responsible, loyal to his mother and full commitment in finishing  his task.  l finally,  found that it has something to do with people’s belief .  It is pertaining to Chinese’s belief  that there is a time to the animal spirit to have an intimate relationship with human being. When answering the question on why the author chooses turtle, the answer is for they believe turtle is one the powerful animal who can give longevity and wealthy. Only then, I said to myself that  "people around the world come from different cultures and backgrounds with different beliefs and customs". Some of others’ beliefs are quiet strange to us but we should have great openness of heart to accept the difference. There could be in my custom too, that is totally strange to others.

1 comment: